Director of Benefits directs all aspects and activities related to the design,
financial planning and administration of the Company’s health, welfare, wellness,
leave and other non-retirement benefit programs. This role also directs the operations of the Belk Benefits Call Center. This includes establishing and revising
policies, procedures, internal controls, functional/technical system reviews
and improvements. Ensures plans are in
compliance with all ERISA and other regulatory requirements.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions
- Direct development/execution of all non-retirement
benefit programs, strategies, plan design, audits, policies,
benchmarking, and financial objectives
- Lead initiatives focused
on improving benefit trends, streamlining the process, plan costs and
improving the experience for associates
- Performs audits on benefits program to ensure effectiveness, payroll
costs and company costs are aligned.
- Maintain relationships and
partner with third-party providers, actuarial experts, brokers, and benefits
consultants to ensure appropriate underwriting and pricing of our Health &
- Serve as internal expert
to management and associates related to health, welfare, and leave program policies
- Provide for effective and timely communications to plan
participants (i.e. associates handbooks, SPDs, SMMs, etc)
- Provide for the proper maintenance of benefits records and
plan documents necessary for plan administration
compliance of plans and programs with governmental regulatory agencies.
annual benefit plans budgets, monthly variance analysis, business impact
- Serve as liaison between benefits governance committees, the
consulting firms, insurance companies, and other agencies supporting the
ongoing administration of the plans.
- Ensure that all non-retirement benefit related contracts
are current, complete and accurate.
- Direct the data process required by internal and external
sources (i.e., claims data, open enrollment, leave of absence, etc.).
- Drive compliance and operational excellence with regard to internal &
external audit requirements, corporate policies, and procedures including SOX
- Lead continuous improvement and integration of benefit processes;
Troubleshoot escalated benefit plan issues
- Evaluate and maintain systems related to plan administration; Propose
requests for system improvements and maintenance
- Coach, mentor and provide leadership development and training to the benefits
team and members of the Total Rewards team
- Build and maintain positive relationships with your team, total rewards
team, corporate/division/store/DC HR, and corporate/field associates.
- Special HR/Audit/Tax projects and other duties as assigned.
- All employees are expected to be in compliance with
government and corporate laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Bachelors degree and/or equivent years of experience
Specific Degree: Healthcare Management, Business, HR Management
- Specific Training: HIPAA
- 10 or more years of applicable experience
Knowledge, Skills, and
- Ability to understand technical/functional aspects of HRIS systems
- Ability to
articulate business requirements and understand project documents
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Strong Inter-Personal/Customer Service
- Strong Verbal & Written Communication Skills
Back to Job List